Axton's Seoulshine

The views of Axton don't necessarily reflect those of the author. If you offend easily, navigate away. Seriously.

Thursday, March 01, 2007

Quirks
As I have alluded to in previous 'updates', there are some cultural quirks (not Jamie, either) I have noticed while here.
I am not whining nor am I trying to change the culture, these are observations, just observations. Every culture has them and Lord knows, the USA has plenty.

Ashtrays
This is a smoking society, so if you are one of the people who cries every time you walk into a restaurant and see smokers, DO NOT COME TO KOREA.
As is the case at places in KC, they won't listen to you and you'll continue to cry about it, as you sit down and eat, anyway. There is no such thing as a 'non-smoking' section.
The few places you cannot smoke are subways, buses, and schools, although I am sure there are other places, I haven't seen them. Actually, you can't smoke in office buildings, which makes perfect sense, anyway.
BUT.
They do try to alleviate the amount of smoke in places, they put water in the ashtrays.
This can be good or bad.
This makes people hold their cigarettes and not put them down, which also makes for a chain smoker.
And, there is NO chance of an ashtray fire, which is always nice, but it leads to another problem.
Spitting in ashtrays.
Yep, spitting. Not the big-hocking-lugie type, but the regular type of spitting.
I cannot bring myself to do it, but many others do it and though it grossed me out to start, I have learned to look the other way when someone is doing it.
Spitting is for the floor or outdoors or the bathroom or the baseball field and in Pacman Jones' case, women's faces.
One of those things it took a little getting used to, save for Pacman.

Street Puke
Yep.
Puke.
THAT I cannot get used to, ever. That is one thing which should be done in only one place, OK, maybe a couple.
1.) The restroom. One of the many uses for the toilet.
2.) Harling's Upstairs. I mean, that place always smells of a fraternity's basement. Every time I have been there. I don't get it.
3.) Behind dumpsters. Away from the public eye and the smell of the dumpster will mask the odor.
4.) Home. The most obvious place. GO HOME and get sick.

I myself, haven't gotten sick here, or at home, for that matter. Not to say I haven't, but I chose (as in the past) to do it in the privacy of my own home. That's part of having a place to go home to. (I know, I ended a sentence with a preposition, but I don't care)
NOW.
It's everywhere. At first I thought it to be just an accident, they happen, but when I started to continually see it, on streets, sidewalks, and in the restroom (at least someone tried), I realized it is accepted and probably embraced. I will NEVER get used to seeing it, ever.

Walking in a straight line
No matter the time of day, no matter where you are, you will be bumped.
Example:
I am walking down a hall in the subway, pretty much have the place to myself, except for the lady walking towards me. I give her, or so I thought, enough room. The hallway was about eight meters wide (that's almost 24 feet, Gramma Pat) and I have one side ALL to myself.
So I am walking, thinking I am doing OK and the lady runs into me. I looked around, maybe she was trying to get out of the way of someone, but no, she cannot walk in a straight line. Weird, I thought and NO, she wasn't drunk. It was only 11:00 AM.
I figured this was an isolated incident and moved on.
NOPE.
It happens all of the time. And not in the mad rush on the subway. Being bumped is part of the game and I have actually come to enjoy it. I am twice the size of people and I love to watch them bounce off of me. Except for the adjumas, I hide from them. My mama only raised one fool and he lives in Omaha.
I will be in subways, with no people around and the guy in front of me, walks right into me. I will be on sidewalks and will be run off the curb or into a storefront. I will be in the grocery store and be run into the huge can display (I wasn't even IN aisle seven!!!!).
I attribute most of this to the hand phone talking and walking. They cannot do that, walk and talk at the same time.
Myself? I only mastered this within the past five years. You should see them walk and chew gum at the same time.
Which brings me to another quirk.

Gum Chewing
They love for you to know they are chewing gum.
Snapping, chomping, just regularly rude.
At home, if you did it in my presence, I would say something to you. Be you a stranger, family, or friend.
I DO NOT WANT TO HEAR IT.
I could not care less if you are chewing gum, there is no need to advertise it to me or anyone else for that matter.
I cannot do that here.
I thought, again, it was maybe the person I happened to sit next to, but NOOOOOOOOO, it's everyone. To me it's like fingernails running down a chalkboard, so if I hear it, I quiver and move away. I moved away from a lady on the subway one day, all the while giving her the evil eye and wincing EVERY time she did it.
One of my pet peeves.
I cannot help it, it's just who I am.
So. If you ever do it around me and I punch you in the stomach, reach in your mouth and grab your gum, it's nothing personal.
It's ME, not you.
Actually, it is YOU and I don't want to hear it.
And when I come back to KC, I look forward to the people who chew their gum in silence, besides, if you chew your gum with your mouth open, it lets all of the flavor out, right Mom?

Where do YOU stand?
And I don't mean politically or religiously or any other idea.
Where do you stand when you are waiting for an elevator?
Hopefully, you stand off to the side, as to allow others to get off the elevator.
Not here.
I find it funny.
They stand right in the middle and try to get on as people are trying to exit.
Same goes for the subway.
There will be 10-15 people attempting to exit, while one person is right in the middle, trying to get on and race for the nearest seat.
The funny thing is, people get run into more by doing this.
I find myself standing to the side, laughing out loud, wondering if anyone else thinks it's as funny as I do.
By the looks on their faces, NO.

As stated, THIS IS NOT WHINING.
Observations.
You all wanted to know what I observe and well, you got it.



Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger Jason G said...

Sounds like a nation of gum smacking, crooked walking, sidewalk spewing, ashtray spitting pains in the ass. Where do they get off copying Americans from the South?

JG

ps - download/steal/shoplift Mofro's new record - Country Ghetto

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home